Thursday, November 26, 2009

-KHAN-

In the cold, sitting in the ger, he huddled close to his mother for warmth.

"Why did they do such mother?"

The mother stared down into his eyes, and replied, "Because they fear us little one. They fear that you may one day stand up to claim your birth right. So they seek to extinguish our family name."

His elder brother spoke up, "But they will never. The sky father will lead us."

Even as the mother smiled, he could see the lack of faith in her eyes.

He could see she thought they were as good as dead. Alone on the steppes, left without the tribe and to fend for themselves, the chances were slim.

"I promise you one thing mother."

She looked back at the smaller boy in front of her.

"I promise I will kill every last one of them. I will rule bordered by oceans, and the world will never forget my name. I will destroy the enemies of our ancestors, and unite this land. I will burn and pillage all other tribes, and one day rule this world. Then everyone will tremble at my name."

His mother stared in wide-eyed disbelief at the conviction and strength behind the voice.

"I WILL be khan. Then they will know to fear Temujin, son of the Wolves."

No comments: